Fiscal Year 2020 Environmental Literacy Program (ELP) Funding Opportunity Is now open
The NOAA Office of Education has issued a competitive funding opportunity for projects designed to build environmental literacy of K-12 students and the public so they are knowledgeable of the ways in which their community can become more resilient to extreme weather and/or other environmental hazards, and become involved in achieving that resilience.
This funding opportunity has two types of projects through separate competitive priorities. Priority 1 awards are intended to fund new projects located in Southern and Western Regions of the United States.
The Southern Region includes the following states and territories: Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Puerto Rico, Tennessee, Texas, and the United States Virgin Islands.
The Western Region includes the following states and territories: Alaska, American Samoa, Arizona, California, Guam, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Northern Mariana Islands, Oregon, Utah, and Washington.
We anticipate that Priority 1 of the next funding opportunity of this program (planned for fall of 2021) will support projects from the Central and Eastern regions, which encompass the remainder of the United States.
Priority 2 awards will support the evolution of projects funded under the 2015-2016 funding opportunities from this program (NOAA-SEC-OED-2015-2004408 and NOAA-SEC-OED-2016-2004737). The full list of awards that support or supported eligible projects can be found here: https://go.usa.gov/xVGzr.
Please note that we do not anticipate issuing a solicitation for applications next year. Rather, applications to this funding opportunity may be funded with fiscal year 2020 and 2021 funds.
For Priority 1, the deadline for pre-applications (required) is 11:59 pm EST on November 25, 2019, and the deadline for full applications is 11:59 pm EDT on March 26, 2020. For Priority 2, pre-applications are not required and the deadline for full applications is 11:59 pm EST on February 11, 2020.
It is anticipated that awards under this announcement will be made by September 30, 2020 and that the projects funded under this announcement in fiscal year 2020 will have a start date no earlier than October 1, 2020.
For Priority 1, two informational teleconferences with the program officers will occur on Thursday, October 17, 2019 from 3:00 to 5:00 pm EDT and Monday, October 21, 2019 from 3:00 to 5:00 pm EDT. An informational teleconference for Priority 2 with the program officers will occur on Wednesday, October 30, 2019 from 1:00 to 3:00 pm EDT. To prepare for your participation in a teleconference, please read the full funding announcement (details on how to access this are provided below) and have a copy available for reference during the teleconference. The phone number and passcode for both teleconferences are 800-779-9695 and 4658444. Whenever possible, individuals from the same institution should try to join the teleconference from the same phone line to maximize our ability to host as many interested institutions as possible.
To read the full funding announcement (NOAA-SEC-OED-2020-2006190), please visit Grants.gov. To learn more about this funding opportunity, please visit our Priority1 and Priority 2 Frequently Asked Questions web pages.
Summary of Federal Opportunity:
- Federal Funding Opportunity #: NOAA-SEC-OED-2020-2006190
- Federal Funding Opportunity Title: Building the Environmental Literacy of K-12 Students and the Public for Community Resilience
- Publication Date: 10/15/2019
- Teleconference dates: Priority 1: Thursday, October 17, 2019 from 3:00 to 5:00 pm (EDT) and Monday, October 21, 2019 from 3:00 to 5:00 (EDT). Priority 2: Wednesday, October 30, 2019 from 1:00 to 3:00 pm (EDT).
- Pre-application due date: 11:59 pm EST on November 25, 2019, submitted online via Grants.gov
- Anticipated date of notifying applicants of authorization to submit a full application (Priority 1): February 6, 2020
- Full application due date (Priority 1): 11:59 pm EST on March 26, 2020
- Full application due date (Priority 2): 11:59 pm EST on February 11, 2020
- Anticipated date of notification of award decisions: September 30, 2020
- Earliest award state date: October 1, 2020
Resources for this competition and general guidance for preparing applications
- See the 2018-2019 competition summary for the information about the previous solicitation
- Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO)
- Informational Teleconferences with Program Officers (TBA)
- Frequently asked questions for Priority 1
- Frequently asked questions for Priority 2
- NOAA Environmental Literacy Program 2019 Resilience Education Grantee Workshop Report
- Models and templates page
- List of NOAA assets
- List of resilience assets
- Grants Dos and Don'ts handout and poster — Guidance from NOAA’s Office of Education on how to write and submit grant applications.