The Environmental Literacy Program helps communities become more resilient to extreme weather events and other environmental hazards they face. Resilient communities are able to make informed decisions that reduce their vulnerability to environmental hazards and stresses that emerge over time. They can withstand these hazards and stresses with minimal damage to their social well-being, economy, and the environment. The education community can use the following physical and intellectual assets in projects designed to increase community resilience.
Note: NOAA’s resilience education grantees are part of a growing community of practice that work together to address challenges, improve their programs, and discuss emerging best practices in this field. Information on existing projects, workshop reports, and past competitions can be found on the Resilience Hub.
Please note that this list is not meant to be a comprehensive list of all of resilience assets.
NOAA & NOAA-partner resilience assets
- Climate Mapping for Resilience and Adaptation
- Community Collaborative Rain, Hail and Snow Network (CoCoRaHS offsite link)
- Gulf TREE offsite link
- National Integrated Heat Health Information System
- National Network for Ocean and Climate Change Interpretation (NNOCCI) offsite link
- NOAA Climate.gov
- NOAA Digital Coast
- NOAA National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI)
- NOAA National Centers for Environmental Prediction
- NOAA National Operational Hydrologic Remote Sensing Center
- NOAA National Centers for Coastal Ocean Science: What's your water level? offsite link
- NOAA Regional Integrated Sciences and Assessments (RISA) Program
- NOAA Resilience Metrics offsite link
- NOAA Weather.gov
- NOAA Weather-Ready Nation
- Sea Grant: Resilient Communities and Economies
- U.S. Climate Resilience Toolkit
- U.S. Drought Portal
- U.S. Global Change Research Program (USGCRP)
- U.S. National Climate Assessment
- NOAA ELP grantees-developed resources
Non-NOAA resilience assets
- Anthropocene Alliance offsite link
- Building Resilience Against Climate Effects (BRACE) Framework (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
- Center for Climate Preparedness and Community Resilience offsite link (Antioch University New England)
- Climate Adaptation Knowledge Exchange (CAKE) offsite link
- Climate Change and Health Playbook: Adaptation planning for justice, equity, diversity and inclusion offsite link (American Public Health Association)
- Climate Change Indicators in the United States (EPA)
- Climate Interpreter offsite link
- Climate Literacy & Energy Awareness Network (CLEAN) offsite link
- EJSCREEN: Environmental Justice Screening and Mapping Tool (EPA)
- Environmental Justice Index (Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry, CDC)
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
- FEMA Community Resilience Indicators
- FEMA National Flood Insurance Program's Community Rating System
- FEMA Nation Partnership Network
- FEMA State Hazard Mitigation Officers
- Georgetown Climate Center (GCC) offsite link&
- Georgetown Climate Center (GCC) Adaptation Plans offsite link
- Headwaters Economics: Neighborhoods at Risk Tool offsite link
- How's My Waterway (EPA)
- Mapping Inequality: Redlining in New Deal America offsite link
- National Disaster Preparedness Training Center offsite link
- National Drought Mitigation Center
- National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) Community Resilience Center of Excellence
- Partnership for Resilience and Preparedness offsite link
- VIDEO offsite link: "The secret to talking about climate change"
Other NOAA assetsNOAA has many other assets that are not specifically focused on resilience but may be useful for supporting resilience-focused projects.
Climate workforce-related resources
- Nishimura and Rowe (2021). "Global Guidance for Education on Green Jobs: Connecting Higher Education and Green Opportunities for Planetary Health. Draft." UN Environment Programme. Available online at https://wedocs.unep.org/handle/20.500.11822/35070 offsite link
- American Society of Adaptation Professionals. (2019). "ASAP Knowledge and Competencies Framework for Climate Change Adaptation and Climate Resilience Professionals." Available online at https://adaptationprofessionals.org/resources/knowledge-and-competency-framework/ offsite link
- Kwauk and Casey. (2021). "A green new learning agenda: approaches to quality education for climate action." The Brookings Institute. Available online at https://www.brookings.edu/research/a-new-green-learning-agenda-approaches-to-quality-education-for-climate-action/ offsite link
Other reports and frameworks
Abrash Walton, A., Simpson, M., Rhoades, J., & Daniels, C. (2016). Local solutions report offsite link: Identifying and meeting the needs of local communities adapting to climate change. Keene, NH: Antioch University New England Center for Climate Preparedness and Community Resilience.
Blunden, J. and D. S. Arndt, Eds. (2017). State of the Climate in 2016 offsite link. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society., 96 (7), S1–S267.
Bowman, T., Morrison, D. (2020) An ACE National Strategic Planning Framework for the United States [Online]. Created in collaborative reflection with the U.S. ACE Community. Available at http://aceframework.us offsite link.
EPA. (2021). “Climate Change and Social Vulnerability in the United States: A Focus on Six Impacts.” U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, EPA 430-R-21-003. www.epa.gov/cira/social-vulnerability-report
Frankenberg, E., B. Sikoki, C. Sumantri, W. Suriastini, and D. Thomas. (2013). “Education, Vulnerability and Resilience after a Natural Disaster.” Ecol Soc 18(2). Doi: 10.5751/ES-05377-180216
Herring, S. C., M. P. Hoerling, J. P. Kossin, T. C. Peterson, and P. A. Stott, Eds. (2016). Explaining Extreme Events of 2015 from a Climate Perspective. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society offsite link. 96 (12), S1–S172.
Ingle, A et al. (2021). "Tools for Equitable Climate Resilience: Fostering Community-led Research and Knowledge offsite link." The River Network.
Israel, B., Parker, E., Rowe, Z., Salvatore, A., Minkler, M., López, J., Butz, A., Mosley, A., Coates, L., Lambert, G., Potito, P., Brenner, B., Rivera, M., Romero, H., Thompson, B., Coronado, G. and Halstead, S. (2005). “Community-Based Participatory Research: Lessons Learned from the Centers for Children’s Environmental Health and Disease Prevention Research.” Environmental Health Perspectives, 113(10), pp.1463-1471. DOI: 10.1289/ehp.767 offsite link
McKinley, D., A. Miller-Rushing, H. Ballard, R. Bonney, H. Brown, D. Evans, R. French, J. Parrish, T. Phillips, S. Ryan, L. Shanley, J. Shirk, K. Stepenuck, J. Weltzin, A. Wiggins, O.Boyle, R. Briggs, S. Chapin, III, D. Hewitt, P. Preuss, and M. Soukup. (2015). “Investing in Citizen Science Can Improve Natural Resource Management and Environmental Protection” Issues in Ecology 19, 1-28. https://www.esa.org/wpcontent/uploads/2015/09/Issue19.pdf.
Muttarak, R. and W. Lutz. (2014). “Is Education a Key to Reducing Vulnerability to Natural Disasters and hence Unavoidable Climate Change?” Ecology and Society 19(1), 42. http://dx.doi.org/10.5751/ES-06476-190142. Part of a Special Feature on Education and Differential Vulnerability to Natural Disasters.
Nachbaur, J., I. Feygina, E. Lipkowitz, D. Karwat. (2017). Climate Change Resilience: Governance and Reforms offsite link. A Report. Arizona State University.
National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine. (2016). Science Literacy: Concepts, Contexts, and Consequences offsite link. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press. https://doi.org/10.17226/23595.
National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine. (2018). “Learning Through Citizen Science: Enhancing Opportunities by Design offsite link.” Washington, DC: The National Academies Press. https://doi.org/10.17226/25183.
National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine. (2019). Building and Measuring Community Resilience offsite link: Actions for Communities and the Gulf Research Program. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press. https://doi.org/10.17226/25383.
National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine. (2021). Enhancing Community Resilience through social capital and social connectedness offsite link: Stronger Together! Washington, DC: The National Academies Press. https://doi.org/10.17226/26123.
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. (2017). NOAA Environmental Literacy Program Resilience Education Grantee Workshop.
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. (2019). NOAA Environmental Literacy Program Resilience Education Grantee Workshop.
National Research Council. (2009). Learning Science in Informal Environments: offsite link People, Places, and Pursuits. Committee on Learning Science in Informal Environments. P. Bell, B. Lewenstein, A.W. Shouse, and M.A. Feder (Eds.). Board on Science Education, Center for Education. Division of Behavioral and Social Sciences and Education. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press.
National Research Council. (2012). A Framework for K-12 Science Education offsite link: Practices, Crosscutting Concepts, and Core Ideas. Committee on a Conceptual Framework for New K-12 Science Education Standards. Board on Science Education, Division of Behavioral and Social Sciences and Education. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press.
National Research Council. (2012). Disaster Resilience: A National Imperative offsite link. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press.
Ramey, Heather, Lawford, Heather, and Rose-Krasnor, Linda. (2017). “Doing for others: Youth’s contributing behaviors and psychological engagement in youth-adult partnerships.” Journal of Adolescence 55: 129-138. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.adolescence.2017.01.00
Resilient Nation Partnership Network. (2021). "Building Alliances for Equitable Resilience." Report. FEMA, NOAA.
Schubel, J.R., et al. (2013). Increasing Community Resilience to Extreme Weather-Related Events offsite link through Coastal America’s Coastal Ecosystem Learning Center Network.
Sempier, T.T., D.L. Swann, R. Emmer, S.H. Sempier, and M. Schneider. (2010). Coastal Community Resilience Index: A Community Self-Assessment offsite link. MASGP-08-014.
Sharpe, Justin, Mark Pelling, Asa Gerger Swartling, Lucy Pearson, Thomas Abeling, Hugh Deeming, and John Forrester. (2015). "Social Learning and Resilience Building in the emBRACE Framework offsite link." Report. CRED, Louvain , Brussels.
Sweet, W., et al. (2014). NOAA Technical Report NOS CO-OPS 073, Sea Level Rise and Nuisance Flood Frequency Changes Around the United States.
Sweet, W., et al. (2017). NOAA Technical Report NOS CO-OPS 083, Global and Regional Sea Level Rise Scenarios for the United States.
U.S. Global Change Research Program (2017). Climate Science Special Report: Fourth National Climate Assessment, Volume I[Wuebbles, D.J., D.W. Fahey, K.A. Hibbard, D.J. Dokken, B.C. Stewart, and T.K. Maycock (eds.)]. U.S. Global Change Research Program, Washington, DC, USA, 470 pp, doi: 10.7930/J0J964J6.
USGCRP, 2018: Impacts, Risks, and Adaptation in the United States: Fourth National Climate Assessment, Volume II [Reidmiller, D.R., C.W. Avery, D.R. Easterling, K.E. Kunkel, K.L.M. Lewis, T.K. Maycock, and B.C. Stewart (eds.)]. U.S. Global Change Research Program, Washington, DC, USA, 1515 pp. doi: 10.7930/NCA4.2018
United States Government Accountability Office. (2017). Climate Change: Information on Potential Economic Effects Could Help Guide Federal Efforts to Reduce Fiscal Exposure.GAO-17-720. Washington, D.C.
North American Association for Environmental Education's (NAAEE)'s Community Engagement: Guidelines for Excellence offsite link
United States Environmental Protection Agency. (2008). "EPA's Environmental Justice Collaborative Problem-Solving Model." EPA-300-R-06-002. https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2016-06/documents/cps-manual-12-27-06.pdf
Zeldin, Shepherd, Gauley, Josset, Krauss, Steven Eric, Kornbluh, Mariah, and Collura, Jessica. (2015). “Youth-Adult Partnership and Youth Civic Development: Cross-National Analyses for Scholars and Field Professionals.” Youth & Society 1-28. DOI: 10.1177/0044118X15595153 offsite link
- Atmospheric Science Literacy: offsite link Essential Principles, Fundamental Concepts for Atmospheric Science Literacy
- Climate Literacy: Essential Principles of Climate Sciences
- Energy Literacy: Essential Principles and Fundamental Concepts for Energy Education
- Estuary Principles & Concepts
- Great Lakes Literacy offsite link: Essential Principles and Fundamental Concepts for Great Lakes Learning
- Ocean Literacy: offsite link Essential Principles of Ocean Sciences