Issued 03/20/09; Effective 03/10/09 Last Reviewed: In Process
SECTION 1. PURPOSE.
.01 This Order affirms the obligation of National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) management officials to fulfill their responsibilities under the Federal Service Labor-Management Relations Statute (5 U.S.C. Chapter 71); Department Administrative Order (DAO) 202-711, Labor-Management Relations; and various collective bargaining agreements.\
.02 This order is a revision of the previously issued NOAA Administrative Order (NAO) 202-711. The revision sets forth NOAA's labor management relations policy.
SECTION 2. SCOPE.
This Order applies to all levels of management in all organizational components of NOAA.
SECTION 3. POLICY.
The authority to make decisions concerning Labor-Management Relations matters rests with Line and Staff Office (LO/SO) management. In order to effectively manage and fulfill NOAA’s labor-management relations responsibilities, line and staff office (LO/SO) management; the Workforce Management Office (WFMO); and the Department of Commerce, Office of General Counsel (DOC/OGC) must work collaboratively on all labor-management relations issues.
SECTION 4. RESPONSIBILITIES.
.01 NOAA Line and Staff Offices. Line and Staff Office management is responsible for the fulfillment of its labor-management relations obligations. The NOAA labor-management relations operational structure dictates that:
- a. Each LO/SO containing employees represented by a labor union shall designate a labor- management relations representative; and
- b. Each LO/SO shall consult, as necessary and appropriate, with DOC Office of Human Resources Management; DOC Office of Civil Rights (for issues with Department-wide implications) and DOC/OGC.
.02 Workforce Management Office. WFMO provides guidance and support to LO/SO management in fulfilling its labor-management relations obligations. The NOAA labor-management relations structure dictates that:
- WFMO will designate a Labor Relations Officer to coordinate NOAA labor relations activities; and
- WFMO will designate one or more Labor-Management Relations Advisors to provide guidance and support to each
SECTION 5. LABOR-MANAGEMENT RELATIONS PROCEDURES.
WFMO has developed and maintains the NOAA Labor-Management Relations Handbook (“Handbook”). The Handbook contains guidance and procedures established to conduct labor relations activities within NOAA. It is available at the Workforce Management Office web site.
SECTION 6. REFERENCES.
- 5 U.S.C. Chapter 71, Federal Service Labor-Management Relations Statute
- Department Administrative Order (DAO) 202-711, Labor-Management Relations
- The NOAA Labor-Management Relations Handbook
- Collective bargaining unit agreements between NOAA Line and Staff Office Management and various Labor Unions representing NOAA employees
SECTION 7. EFFECT ON OTHER ISSUANCES.
This Order supersedes NAO 202-711, Labor-Management Relations Procedures, dated December 8, 1988.
Mary M. Glackin
Deputy Under Secretary
Office of Primary Interest:
Workforce Management Office