EPP/MSI Undergraduate Scholarship Program
The NOAA Office of Education 2020 undergraduate scholarship application is now open — apply today!
The EPP/MSI Undergraduate Scholarship provides funds for two years of undergraduate study to rising junior undergraduate students majoring in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) fields that directly support NOAA's mission. Participants conduct research at a NOAA facility during two paid summer internships. Since 2001, over 186 students have completed the program and over 75% go on to graduate school.
Students attending Minority Serving Institutions as defined by the US Department of Education (Hispanic Serving Institutions, Historically Black Colleges and Universities, Tribal Colleges and Universities, Alaskan-Native Serving Institutions, and Native Hawaiian Serving Institutions) are eligible to apply for the program.
Important update: Starting in 2019, U.S. nationals are eligible to apply for the EPP/MSI Undergraduate Scholarship Program.
About the program
- Students receive awards valued at up to $45,000 in total support (including travel and conference participation) during their junior and senior years.
- Students complete an 11 week paid summer internship and training at NOAA in Silver Spring, MD, between May and July of the first summer. During the second summer, students complete a 10 week paid internships at NOAA facilities across the country. Students are paid a stipend and receive a housing allowance during summer internships.
- Student scholarship recipients attend a two-week orientation at NOAA in Silver Spring, MD, and begin their first summer internship in early June.
- At the end of both summer internships, students present the results of their projects at an Education and Science Symposium in Silver Spring, MD (travel expenses paid).
- Applicants must be U.S. citizens or U.S. nationals.
- Must be currently enrolled as a full-time 2nd year student in a four-year academic program; or transferring from a two-year to a four-year institution; or a 3rd year student in a five-year program.
- Studying a discipline related to NOAA's programs and mission at an accredited minority serving institution (college or university within the United States or U.S. territories).
- Must earn and maintain a minimum 3.2 grade point average on a 4.0 scale.
Apply and contact information
To apply for an EPP/MSI Undergraduate Scholarship, visit the NOAA undergraduate scholarship application. The EPP/MSI and Hollings Scholarships share a common application. This application is available annually from September through January. For inquiries, please contact: EPP.USP@noaa.gov