Frequently Asked Questions on NERTO for CSC Students
- Is there a minimum duration for a NERTO?
- Can participation in research cruises be considered a NERTO?
- Do CSC-supported students need to undergo a background check to participate in NERTOs?
- How is an opportunity tagged for CSC students?
- How would one determine if an opportunity is not tagged for CSC students?
- How do CSC students find out about opportunities in the Student Scholarship Internship Opportunity (SSIO) database?
- How does a CSC student apply for an opportunity listed in the SSIO?
- Who should I contact for additional questions or information?
The NERTO for CSC graduate students has a minimum duration of 12 weeks and a maximum duration of one year.
During research cruises, contact time with a NOAA mentor would be a factor in determining if the CSC students' participation meets the NERTO requirement. Participation in research cruises is a professional development activity for any CSC-supported student.
Yes. To obtain a badge and access the NOAA facility, network, or computers, a background check must be successfully completed.
An opportunity is tagged for CSC students either in the title of the opportunity or a text description that identifies the opportunity as for CSC students.
An opportunity is not tagged for CSC students if no information is provided in the title or anywhere in the description that the opportunity is for CSC students.
The CSC Administrator is provided access to the SSIO and retrieves information for the CSC students at the Center. Also, the EPP Program Office shares new SSIO postings for CSCs to review and indicate interest as a selection for Center cohort graduate students.
All CSC students must complete an application package for a NERTO internship. The completed NERTO application package is submitted by the Center Director or designee to firstname.lastname@example.org.
All EPP CSC students accepted for an EPP NERTO internship must have a 12-week internship plan that is collaboratively developed among the hosting NERTO NOAA Mentor, CSC student, and the student's CSC academic advisor. The Internship plan covers: (a) Project Title; (b) Student Info; (c) Expected Start and End Dates; (d) Objectives & Outcomes (duties and responsibilities, special skills and training, expected outcomes); and (e) Timeline ( identifying activity with start date and end date). The completed NERTO internship plan is submitted to email@example.com, at least 1 week before the NERTO begins.
Please contact NOAA EPP/MSI either via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or by phone (301-628-2913).