Pacific Islands Region Team
NOAA Regional Collaboration works to elevate understanding of our mission and priorities in order to convey the value and impact of that mission in ways that people understand and care about. Established in 2006, the Regional Collaboration Network is made up of eight regional collaboration teams. The teams are composed of senior staff in the region, led by a NOAA Leadership-appointed team lead, and supported by a full-time coordinator. Team members maintain trusted relationships with partner organizations and stakeholders, creating a network of more than 500 professionals that enhances NOAA's capacity to serve the needs of local communities.
Many of the complex challenges that drive NOAA mission are place-based, and require interdisciplinary approaches and regionally tailored solutions. The Regional Collaboration network addresses regional challenges by engaging and connecting people and resources within the regions and with headquarters, in ways that are rich in regional insight and that inform action. Through this work, NOAA’s Regional Collaboration effort improves the understanding of, and respect for NOAA’s broad mission and regional capabilities. Our vision of a unified and regional integrated NOAA is focused on service to the nation by meeting the evolving demands of regional stakeholders.
NOAA in the Pacific Islands values bridging and building relationships with people and communities in the region to achieve our mission of science, service, and stewardship.
Pacific Islands Region Team Members
- Regional Team Lead: Dr. John Marra, National Environmental Satellite, Data, and Information Service (NESDIS), Regional Climate Services Director, Pacific Region
- Regional Team Co-Lead: Raymond Tanabe, National Weather Service (NWS), Regional Director, Pacific Region
- Regional Coordinator: K.Pua Kamaka, National Environmental Satellite, Data, and Information Service (NESDIS)
Pacific Regional Executive Board (PREB)
The PREB consists of all of the NOAA line office leads in the Pacific Islands Region. This unique situation provides us with the expertise, connections, and resources that help inform action and understanding of NOAA’s mission and priorities in the region.
- Captain Daniel Simon, OMAO/DS/EAD, Commissioned Officer Commander
- Commander Nicole Manning, OMAC/MOC-PI, Commanding Officer
- Jean Tanimoto, National Ocean Service, Director, Office for Coastal Management – Pacific Islands
- Kristina Kekuewa, National Ocean Service, Office of National Marine Sanctuaries, Regional Director, Pacific Islands Region
- Darryl Kuniyuki, Oceanic and Atmospheric Research, Station Chief, Mauna Loa Observatory
- Dr. John Marra, National Environmental Satellite, Data, and Information Service, Regional Climate Services Director, Pacific Region offsite link
- Frederick Tucher, Office of General Counsel, Section Chief, Pacific Islands Section
- Raymond Tanabe, National Weather Service, Regional Director, Pacific Region
- Martina Sagapolu, Office of Law Enforcement, Director
- Dr. Michael Seki, National Marine Fisheries Service, Director, Pacific Islands Fisheries Science Center
- Michael Tosatto, National Marine Fisheries Service, Regional Administrator Pacific Islands Regional Office
To connect with the NOAA Pacific Islands Regional Collaboration Team, please email email@example.com or contact
Regional Team Coordinator
K. Pua Kamaka
Regional Team Lead
Dr. John Marra