NOAA uses social media platforms to connect and interact with different audiences about our science and diverse mission areas.
We routinely share news and feature content on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube, among other sites.
We encourage public interaction and communication about the content we post on our social media accounts. However, this does not imply that NOAA agrees with or accepts the content, opinions or views expressed within any public comment. The person who posts a comment is solely responsible for the content of the comment.
NOAA does not discriminate against views or opinions posted to our social networking accounts, but we do reserve the right to remove any comment that falls outside of the Department of Commerce policy for commenting. A comment will not be edited or modified to remove unacceptable content; the entire comment will simply be removed from view. Some of the reasons we may remove a comment are listed below:
- Contains vulgar language, personal attacks of any kind, harassment of a person or organization, or offensive terms that target specific ethnic, racial and/or protected groups.
- Promotes products or services (non-commercial links that are relevant to NOAA are acceptable).
- Is far off topic (i.e., comment is not within or is beyond the scope of the post).
- Makes unsupported accusations.
- Spam, including content that promotes products or services or contains gratuitous links (links or references to other NOAA webpages or federal government sites are acceptable).
- Political campaigning, advocacy or lobbying.
Users risk being reported as abusive if they post 3 or more comments that meet the above criteria.
Social media channels, such as Twitter, Facebook and Instagram, are third party Web services used by NOAA/Department of Commerce for outreach. Use of these platforms requires a free membership; however, the Department does not endorse membership on social media platforms nor has any control or responsibility for privacy on these platforms. Please see the Department of Commerce Social Media and Web 2.0 Policy for more.