News and impacts
The Educational Partnership Program with Minority Serving Institutions aims to increase the number of traditionally underrepresented students who are trained in NOAA-related sciences. Since 2001, the EPP/MSI Cooperative Science Center (CSC) institutions have awarded post-secondary degrees to over 2,300 students in fields that support NOAA's mission. Over the same time period, these institutions awarded over half of the Ph.D. degrees that were earned by African Americans in both atmospheric science and marine science in the United States.
24 partner institutions work with NOAA to train students and align research priorities in NOAA sciences.
3,860 students have been supported by EPP/MSI programs since 2001.
2,325 post-secondary degrees have been awarded by EPP/MSI programs since 2001.
240 postsecondary students are currently being supported by CSCs.
220 undergraduate students have been supported by EPP/MSI Undergraduate Scholarship Program since 2001.
106 graduate students have completed NOAA Experiential Research and Training Opportunities since 2016.
News and stories
- Photo story: Explore NOAA scholarships as undergraduates #TakeoverTuesday
- NOAA welcomes the 2019 undergraduate scholars
- Student scholar sets his sights for a career in science through hands-on research
- NOAA undergraduate scholars #TakeoverTuesday to promote the 2019 application season
- Graduate students join research cruise on board NOAA Ship Nancy Foster
- NOAA invites second-year undergraduates to apply for our prestigious scholarships
- Announcing the 2018 NOAA undergraduate scholars
- Forum will showcase student research and partnerships with minority-serving institutions
- NOAA Scholar interns on the NOAA Ship Okeanos Explorer
- EPP/MSI Alum recognized for outstanding commitment to mission & mentorship
- A summer intern's perspective on why diversity & inclusion is the way to gooffsite link
- NOAA Scholars are a force for hurricane research
- EPP/MSI alum becomes a deputy director at NOAA Air Resources Lab
- EPP/MSI alum at UMCES-IMET Earns NSF Postdoctoral Fellowshipoffsite link
- NOAA awards $11.9 million to four minority serving institutions to train the next generation of scientists
- Four EPP/MSI alumni selected as 2016 Knauss Fellows
- EPP/MSI student wins fellowship; recent publication featured in Earth and Space News
- EPP/MSI students present research at ASLO Ocean Sciences Meeting
- EPP/MSI participates in the 2016 AMS Meeting
- Weather Camp inspires the next generation of atmospheric scientists
- Using the sea to see the American dream
- Collaboration between NOAA Scientists and EPP/MSI students leads to discovery of new oyster probiotic