Graduate Research & Training Scholarship Program
The NOAA Graduate Research and Training Scholarship Program (GRTSP) leverages the initial investment made by the agency in the NOAA EPP/MSI Cooperative Science Centers (CSC). GRTSP helps establish a pipeline of well trained and educated individuals who attend Minority Serving Institutions and earn degrees in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) disciplines that support NOAA’s mission.
Applicants must be currently enrolled as a full time student at one of NOAA’s EPP/MSI Cooperative Science Centers in an accredited graduate degree program. In addition applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Minimum GPA 3.5 or above for the duration of GRTSP financial support;
- US Citizenship;
- Undergraduate degree in STEM;
- Enrolled in a MS or PhD program and matriculated in STEM discipline that directly supports NOAA's mission;
- Must have completed 1 academic term of graduate coursework;
- Applications may be obtained from the NOAA Cooperative Science Center Director and are submitted through the CSC Director directly to NOAA EPP/MSI.
- Applications will be accepted twice per year;
- Each CSC may submit up to 4 applications during the open season;
- Completed application are submitted online to NOAA EPP/MSI;
- Applications must include a project plan with milestones along with 3 letters of recommendation – one of which must be from the Cooperative Science Center Director; and,
Scholars are offered the following for one year based on the degree being pursued.
For PhD. Degree candidates:
- $45,000 stipend to support tuition and fees and other costs associated with opportunities for professional development;
- $10,000 (maximum) travel cost to support research travel and to present findings at conferences; and,
- Funding for a second year of training if a renewal application is successful and approved by NOAA EPP/MSI.
For Masters Degree candidates:
- $36,000 to support tuition and fees as well as other costs associated with opportunities for professional development; and,
- $7,000 (maximum) travel cost to support research travel and to present findings at conferences.
Current Graduate Research & Training Scholars
Previous Graduate Research & Training Scholars