Award Recipient: University of Maryland Eastern Shore
Primary NOAA Line Office: National Marine Fisheries Service
Education Focus: Students trained in marine and fisheries sciences, and prepared for careers in research, management and public policy that support the sustainable harvest and conservation of our nation's living marine resources.
Sub-award Recipient Academic Partners:
- Delaware State University offsite link,
- Hampton University offsite link,
- Savannah State University offsite link,
- Oregon State University offsite link,
- University of Maryland Center for Environmental Science Institute of Marine and Environmental Technology offsite link
- University of Miami Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Sciences offsite link
Goals of the Center
LMRCSC has three primary goals:
- To prepare the future workforce for marine and fisheries sciences;
- To strengthen collaborations across universities to enhance academic programs in marine and fisheries sciences; and,
- To develop an exemplary capacity for scientific collaborations among partner institutions in the fields of marine and fisheries sciences.
The focus of the LMRCSC is to increase the number of educated, trained and graduated students from underrepresented communities in marine science for career opportunities with NOAA, NOAA contractors, other Federal agencies, and academia. The mission of the LMRCSC is to conduct research on marine and estuarine systems congruent with the interests of NOAA Fisheries, and to prepare students for careers in research, management, and public policy that support the sustainable harvest and conservation of our nation's living marine resources. LMRCSC conducts research in quantitative fisheries; fish production through aquaculture biotechnology and enhanced disease diagnostics and control; and, trophic interactions among harvested and non-targeted species. Additionally, LMRCSC activities include identifying, mapping and restoring degraded essential habitats of fishes as well as assessing socioeconomic impacts of fisheries management.
Center DirectoryCenter Director Paulinus Chigbu, Ph.D.
Awarded 2001; 2006; 2011
LMRCSC is funded by NOAA/EPP/MSI current Cooperative Agreement #NA11SEC4810002