Use the filter menu and interactive map to explore the past competitions offered and grants awarded through the Environmental Literacy Program.
To learn more about project findings and outcomes, view the summaries of our grantees’ summative evaluation reports.
- (-) Research Foundation of the City University of New York / Queens College (1)
- American Museum of Natural History (3)
- Chugach School District (1)
- Colorado State University (2)
- Denver Museum of Nature and Science (1)
- Earth Force (1)
- Groundwork Hudson Valley (1)
- Natural History Museum of the Adirondacks / The Wild Center (1)
- Research Foundation of CUNY / Brooklyn College (1)
- Sciencenter (1)
- Seward Association for the Advancement of Marine Science / Alaska SeaLife Center (1)
- Trustees of Columbia University in the City of New York / Columbia University (1)
- U.S. Satellite Laboratory (1)
- University Corporation for Atmospheric Research (UCAR) Center for Science Education (2)
- University of Colorado Boulder / Fiske Planetarium (2)
Into the Woods (ITW)
Queens College’s Into the Woods (ITW) project is an environmental literacy program for New York City Elementary School Teachers enhancing content knowledge about the Earth System and extending their classrooms outdoors into Nature. The classrooms continue to evolve into school stewardship and service learning in partnerships with parks and environmental organizations. The ITW project starts with five Elementary Globe books that link science, math and literacy. Fiction becomes reality during field training that uses GLOBE books as blueprints for how teachers can guide their students to conduct their own research to enhance understanding of the environment. The project trains teachers to design and supervise grade-appropriate research projects using GLOBE protocols in local parks; support them during those projects; and host annual research symposia during which students present their results. The project's template of immersing teachers and students in environmental research is becoming a national model for improving environmental literacy in all school systems. The NYU Wallerstein Collaborative for Urban Environmental Education works in partnership with Into the Woods to connect teachers to the resources, materials, and strategies required to successfully implement environmental education, outdoor learning, service learning and hands-on experiences across all grade levels and curriculum areas.