Use the filter menu and interactive map to explore the past competitions offered and grants awarded through the Environmental Literacy Program.
To learn more about project findings and outcomes, view the summaries of our grantees’ summative evaluation reports.
- (-) Aquarium of the Pacific (1)
- Florida Aquarium (1)
- John G. Shedd Aquarium / Shedd Aquarium (1)
- Monterey Bay Aquarium (2)
- National Aquarium / National Aquarium In Baltimore (NAIB) (1)
- New England Aquarium Corporation / New England Aquarium (NEAq) (2)
- North Carolina Aquarium Society / North Carolina Aquarium at Fort Fisher (1)
- Sea Research Foundation / Mystic Aquarium (1)
- Tennessee Aquarium (1)
Aquarium of the Pacific's Ocean Science Center (SOS): Ocean-Earth Stories Connecting People, the Ocean and Climate Change
The Aquarium of the Pacific is creating an immersive exhibit for exploring the role of the ocean in climate change and its responses under different scenarios. The center of the experience is NOAA's Science On a Sphere (SOS), a proven platform for displaying a rich variety of earth system datasets that reveal global and large scale region processes and phenomena that are easily grasped by the general public. Combining SOS with a system of linked plasma screens allows additional local and regional stories that bring global messages down to a more personal level. Two programs are being developed initially focusing on: (1) implications of sea level rise, and (2) marine ecosystems. Both explore how the vulnerability of systems can be reduced and their resiliency enhanced through mitigation and adaptation.