The Coastal Ecosystems Learning Centers (CELC) network works across institutions to better engage the public in understanding, appreciating, and protecting marine and freshwater ecosystems. As outlined in the CELC Strategic Plan, the network’s objectives are:
- Improve ocean and climate literacy among our audiences.
- Foster our audiences’ connections with their local environment and encourage stewardship behaviors.
- Advance diversity, equity, access, and inclusion within our network
- Establish and support a community of practice with emphasis on cross-institution communication, coordination, and professional development.
To meet these goals, the network focuses on a variety of initiatives:
- Youth summit
- Climate / community resilience
- Capacity building and professional development
The network also partners with NAAEE offsite linkand other organizations to build aquaculture literacy with aquarium staff and visitors. Overall, the CELC network is continuously working to evaluate progress, share resources, and strengthen capacity.