Led by the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy (OSTP), National Science Foundation (NSF), National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), and the Office of Naval Research (ONR), the OST Subcommittee is composed of 30 Departments and Agencies across the Federal government.
The Ocean Science and Technology Subcommittee (OST) is the lead interagency entity for Federal coordination on ocean science and technology (S&T). The OST works to expand knowledge, provide advice, and offer recommendations regarding the advancement of ocean S&T across the Federal government and with the broader ocean community, including international activities. The OST reflects decades of ocean policy development and serves as a cornerstone to implementing the visionary coordinated ocean S&T goals across administrations, parties, and sectors.
The OST serves as a subcommittee of both the OPC and the National Science and Technology Council (NSTC). Under the NSTC, the group is referred to as the Subcommittee on Ocean Science and Technology (SOST). The purpose of the OST/SOST is to advise and assist both the OPC and the NSTC on national matters pertaining to ocean S&T.
Interagency Working Groups and other Subsidiary Bodies
Within the OPC framework, two bodies report to the OST.
See the links below for more information about bodies of the OST as it reports to the OPC.
- National Oceanographic Partnership Program (NOPP)
- National Ocean Mapping, Exploration, and Characterization (NOMEC) Council
The SOST oversees ten Interagency Working Groups (IWGs) within the NSTC structure, four of which are congressionally mandated through legislation. The other six IWGs were formulated by the SOST as bodies to help conduct and coordinate other specific high priority work of the Subcommittee.
See the links below for more information about interagency working groups (IWGs) of the SOST as it reports to the NSTC.
- IWG Ocean Acidification
- IWG Ocean and Coastal Mapping
- IWG Harmful Algal Bloom and Hypoxia Research Control Act
- IWG Interagency Ocean Observation Committee offsite link
- IWG Facilities and Infrastructure offsite link
- IWG Ocean Education
- IWG Ocean Sound and Marine Life
- IWG Sea Level Rise and Coastal Flood Hazard Scenarios
- IWG Biodiversity
- IWG Ocean Decade
The SOST/OST includes 30 members from various Departments and Agencies and is led by four Co-Chairs: National Science Foundation (NSF), National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), Office of Science and Technology Policy (OSTP), and Office of Naval Research (ONR). Three Executive Secretaries support the Subcommittee in meeting its goals and serve as liaisons between the Subcommittee and its various sub-bodies. Other members include:
- Department of Agriculture (USDA)
- Arctic Research Council (ARC)
- Department of Commerce National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
- Department of Defense (DOD)
- Office of the Secretary of Defense (OSD)
- DOD U.S. Navy
- DOD Office of Naval Research (ONR)
- DOD U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE)
- DOD Joint Chiefs
- Office of the Director of National Intelligence (ODNI)
- Department of Energy (DOE) Office of Science
- DOE Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy
- Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
- DHHS National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- Department of Homeland Security (DHS) U.S. Coast Guard (USCG)
- Department of Interior (DOI) Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA)
- DOI Bureau of Ocean Energy Management (BOEM)
- DOI Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement (BSEE)
- DOI National Park Service (NPS)
- DOI U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS)
- DOI U.S. Geological Survey (USGS)
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- Marine Mammal Commission (MMC)
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
- National Science Foundation (NSF)
- Department of State
- Smithsonian Institution (SI)
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)
- Department of Transportation (DOT)
- White House Office of Management and Budget (OMB)
- White House Office of Science and Technology Policy (OSTP)