Open House at NOAA Center in College Park, Maryland to be rescheduled
The NOAA Center for Weather and Climate Prediction will host an open house on Sat., Sept. 15, at its College Park, Maryland, campus. The public is invited to tour the facility and meet NOAA research scientists and meteorologists to explore how they forecast and monitor the weather across the country. Attendees can also meet a Hurricane Hunter pilot and enjoy interactive science and weather activities for kids. NOAA’s 3D Science on a Sphere® experience will bring global weather and climate systems to life, and weather balloon launches will take place throughout the day.
NCWCP Open House
Sat., Sept. 15, 10 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
NOAA Center for Weather and Climate Prediction
5830 University Research Court
College Park, Md. 20740
Admission is free, and government-issued photo I.D. is required for entry. Free parking is available, and food and drinks will be available for purchase from on-site food trucks. Tour space is limited and sign up is on a first-come, first-served basis.
Reporters must register to attend by emailing email@example.com.
ACTIVITIES / VISUALS:
- Watch a weather balloon launch
- Learn the ABC’s of weather forecasting
- Hear stories from a hurricane hunter pilot and a NOAA Corps officer
- See how scientists measure and model pollutants in the atmosphere
- View live microorganisms from the Chesapeake Bay
- Meet a forecaster on the National Forecast Operations Desk
- Learn about NOAA’s exciting science and service to America
This open house supports NOAA's efforts to build a Weather-Ready Nation, one that is ready, responsive and resilient to extreme weather, water and climate events. For the schedule and more information about the open house, visit: http://www.ncep.noaa.gov/openhouse/