Graduate Research & Training Scholarship Program
The NOAA Graduate Research and Training Scholarship Program (GRTSP) is designed to provide opportunities for graduate students supported at the Educational Partnership Program with Minority Serving Institutions (EPP/MSI) Cooperative Science Centers. Scholars participate in experiential opportunities at a NOAA facility with guidance from a NOAA mentor.
The NOAA Graduate Research and Training Scholarship Program (GRTSP) leverages the initial investment made by the agency in the NOAA EPP/MSI Cooperative Science Centers (CSC). GRTSP is intended to help establish a pipeline of well trained and educated individuals who attend Minority Serving Institutions, and earn degrees in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) disciplines that support NOAA’s mission.
Stipend: Scholars are offered the following for one year based on the degree being pursued.
For PhD. Degree candidates:
- $45,000 stipend to support tuition and fees and other costs associated with opportunities for professional development;
- $10,000 (maximum) travel cost to support research travel and to present findings at conferences; and,
- Funding for a second year of training if a renewal application is successful and approved by NOAA EPP/MSI.
For Masters Degree candidates:
- $36,000 to support tuition and fees as well as other costs associated with opportunities for professional development; and,
- $7,000 (maximum) travel cost to support research travel and to present findings at conferences.
Eligibility: Applicants must be currently enrolled as a full time student at one of NOAA’s EPP/MSI Cooperative Science Centers in an accredited graduate degree program. In addition applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Minimum GPA 3.5 or above for the duration of GRTSP financial support;
- US Citizenship;
- Undergraduate degree in STEM;
- Enrolled in a MS or PhD program and matriculated in STEM discipline that directly supports NOAA's mission;
- Must have completed 1 academic term of graduate coursework;